After years of drought, the Kern river returns as southern California’s most convenient white water rafting playground. Come join Great Outdoors as we enjoy a long weekend in the southern Sierra Nevada mountains. With the hot summer days approaching, imagine yourself cooling off in the river, white water rafting, or relaxing along the shore. We have reserved shaded river-side campsites at Headquarters Campground, located about 10 miles from Kernville, and we can accommodate a limited number of RVs/Trailers (up to 30 foot). In Kernville, you can grab a meal, shop for groceries, or visit the shops downtown.
Located about 45 min north of the campground is the Trail of 100-Giants – part of the southernmost giant sequoia groves, with an easy and relaxing trail that winds through towering redwoods. While in the area, another 30 minutes up the road is the moderately challenging, but gorgeous Watchtower Hike. You may also consider going to Peppermint Falls where the creek has carved “tea cups” from the granite, creating small swimming holes, before cascading over the rock face into the valley below.
We’ll have our traditional potluck on Saturday evening, so bring a main or a side dish that showcases your camping culinary genius. Great Outdoors will provide the desserts.
Amenities include vault toilets and drinking water. There are no showers available, so bring your solar shower.
- A 1 day optional white water rafting trip on the lower Kern River (18 spots available). This is a full day rafting trip, with class II-IV rapids. Lunch is included, as well as all rafting gear. Make sure to sign up early and secure your spot.
- Relaxing along the Kern River or using your own floatation device.
- Fishing – the Kern River is renowned for its trout fishing.
Picture from previous Great Outdoors Kern River rafting trip
- Arrive after 2pm
- 6pm – Meet & Greet
- Evening campfire activities – games
- 7am – Rafters must be ready to leave to check in
- Those not rafting – activities on your own
- Dinner on your own
- 8:30am - Breakfast provided by Great Outdoors – pancakes, scrambled eggs, fruit, coffee.
- Activities – hiking, relaxing
- 6:30pm – Potluck – Great Outdoors will provide the desserts.
- Pack up and be ready to leave by 11am.
Cancellation policy: Camping fee refunds will be given only if you cancel registration prior to May 31st. If you signed up and paid for the optional rafting, you will receive a partial refund until May 5th ($127), and no refunds after May 6th.